Racing pulse, burning skin, bulging veins, chest burning. Can you help? History of patched hole in heart

Jan 2013

I have not been feeling good for about 6 month. I have a hole patched in my heart when I was 30. Now I am 53 and have started to have a racing pulse and now my skin feels like it is burning and vains seem to puff out in hand and feet. Plus there is a burning in my chest around were they cracked my chest. Plus my neck and under it turn red and feels hot. No one can figure it out. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 47 minutes later
What is your present heart rate? Racing heart rate is continuous or occurring at any time during whole day.
There are 2 different thing: 1) Heart rate is >100/ bpm 2) You are feeling heart beat (palpitations).
If heart rate is >100/ bpm then there may be some arrhythmia and should be detected. If sinus tachycardia is present then diltiazem won't help.
If sinus tachycardia is present, First consult with physician/ cardiologist and try to find the cause. You should go for electro-physiological study of heart. If all investigations are normal then you should take Ivabradine 5/10mg on written prescription.
If some arrhythmias are present then it should be confirmed whether it is PSVT/ ventricular in nature. If PSVT is present then diltiazem/ verapamil/ adenosine works. If ventricular arrhythmia are present then you should take amiodarone.
As you have mentioned burning sensation in chest, do you have any gastric problems like acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness & bloating/ increased flatulence?
If gastric problems are present then you should go for endoscopy.
Turning neck red hot may suggest possibility of carcinoid syndrome and you should also go 24 hours urinary 5-HIAA test.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava