Racing heart, short of breath. Normal echo, x-ray and spirometer test. Help

I have a regular heart beat 62 Bpm however I feel like my heart is racing and I am always shirt of breath I have had several tests ecogram, X-ray, spirometer test, excercise test all normal. I feel like my lack of breathing is getting harder to do. There some nights I cannot sleep as u can't get a breath in. I never feel like I get a full breath ib
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 35 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

You case is interesting and but difficult too. Even your attending physician is facing to solve it. I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

As your all investigations (like echogram, X-ray, spirometer test, exercise test) are normal, then you should not worry about cardiac and respiratory illnesses.

From your description and normal investigations report we should strongly suspect presence of anxiety disorder as all your symptoms can occur in anxiety. You may need assessment and treatment for anxiety.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health/Family/Finances, tremor, muscle spasm, bodyache, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. You may also some of these symptoms.

Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. So, your treatment is appear to right but in some cases improvement may take time. Although I understand that you are suffering, but you have to keep patience.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Have thyroid function test done as its dysfunction may lead to anxiety.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.
-Stop substance use specially alcohol (If present)
-Get investigated if suspicion of other problem arises as presence of anxiety disorder can not rule out presence of other medical disorders.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Racing heart, short of breath. Normal echo, x-ray and spirometer test. Help 15 minutes later
Thankyou for your prompt reply. If it is anxiety it must be coming subconsciously as I do not worry that much. I get pain in my chest sometimes. I do tend to think of a night time some nights. I do get tire easily, I get bored and restless. I feel short of breath most of the time, when I do excercise such as running it is so much worse I can barely breath, I don't drink alcohol or smoke, I eat very healthy, I excercise everyday. I really would like to get to the bottom of this and start breathing properly again. I feel like I miss so many breaths that is why I could be dizzy all the time Thanks heaps XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

Yes, in most of the cases anxiety is biological due to lack of serotonin in brain. Your symptoms and suffering in current query also appear related to anxiety.

It is good that you don't drink alcohol or smoke, eat healthy diet and exercise everyday. It will help in prompt recovery after following all advices as explained in primary reply, specially treatment of anxiety from specialist like psychiatrist.

I hope you will be well soon.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.