Racing heart. Checked blood pressure with monitor. Why would that have happened?

Yesterday I had the feeling that my heart was racing, when I got home I checked it with my blood press. monitor and it was 103 with bp 121/92. Why would that have happened?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work I'm providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

An elevated pulse is not uncommon from time to time. There are several things which can cause your pulse to become elevated. The first thing which we must consider would be some type of substance or medication which may have had an impact on your Pauls. Very commonly substances such as caffeine or nicotine can cause in elevation of the Pulse.

Also if you are mildly dehydrated it will cause your pulse to become elevated. If you drink plenty of fluids over time this generally causes the pulse to come back to a normal range.

In addition anxiety or panic can cause in elevation of pulse . If you are worried about something or stressed out this can set your post to be a bit high. If the stress is remote of course the pulse will come back to a normal range.

You have mentioned that you have been having hypothyroidism and on medication for the same and you have skipped the dose for a day. The reason for an increased heart rate could also be due to this skipping of a dose.

You also indicated a blood pressure reading as well. The blood pressure reading is not that bad. The bottom number or diastolic blood pressure is slightly high. I don't think this necessarily reflects anything worrisome.

I would suggest that for the time being you keep an eye on your Pulse to see if there is again some degree of variability. A normal pulse is generally between 60 and 85 bpm. If you notice that your pulse is consistently much higher than that you may need to visit with your response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert