Rabipur vaccine dosage for immunocompromised patient

my family doctor rabipur 3 injs on 0-3-5 days for a house pet dog vaccinated. Is he right? or what would be the dosage for immunocompromised patient my mother aged 73years.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 31 minutes later

The complete immunization schedule for a patient who had a dog bite (even for immunocompromised patient) consists of 5 doses of Rabipur vaccine. The dosage schedule is one intramuscular injection of Rabipur on days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28.

The micro organism which causes rabies is concentrated in saliva and blood of the animal and since immunocompromised patients are at high risk of contracting the disease, it is better to follow the proper schedule.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Follow-up: Rabipur vaccine dosage for immunocompromised patient 21 minutes later
what if 5 dose are not taken, only 3 are taken. the dog is pet and vaccinated as per the neighbour owner.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 15 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

It is good that the dog is vaccinated but to be on the safer side, it is always advisable to complete the full course of immunization. Further, as your mother is already immunocompromized , her body would not produce enough antibodies and thus giving her only 3 doses would not give her complete protection.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.

Wishing her Good health!