Rabies vaccination given twice. Also tetanus jab. Effects of this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hey - Around 2003/2004 i was given the rabies vaccination - On Sunday i was bitten bitten by a dog and today i went to the ER.

I was given a tetanus jab & Rabies immunoglobulin (HRIG ) - I just read up on it, it says that previously vaccinated people should not be given this - What will the effect be? or am i classed as unvaccinated due to the time since i was vaccinated.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later

You were given active vaccination 7 years ago. The efficacy of rabies vaccine is not considered to be effective for so long. You have been classed as unvaccinated and have been given both immunoglobulin and fresh vaccination to prevent rabies.

The immunoglobulin you had now will be effective only if you are actually infected with rabies.
You may take booster dose of the vaccine every 2-5 years for better protection against rabies.

I hope this answers your query effectively. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Rabies vaccination given twice. Also tetanus jab. Effects of this? 16 minutes later
So i won't get ill from having the immunoglobulin? I was just worried that because i'd had the vaccine years ago that having the immunoglobulin now would make me sick or make the course of injections i'm having now less effective (I have to go back for more injections over the next month)

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Do not worry. Taking immunoglobulins will not make you sick.
Your immunization status is as good as an unvaccinated person.
Please go ahead with the vaccination schedule as advised to you by your physician.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free, speedy recovery.