Ask a Dentist   »  

RCT done. Swelling and pain appeared in surrounding teeth. Chances of RCT failure?

Hello Doctor,

I have undergone RCT for unit 6 in my hometown, filling was done last week and now it seems like swelling i can feel it but not for the outside view, and it is paining, not teeth but surrounding of teeth is paining, only thought comes to my mind is RCT failure, please confirm and please suggest what step to be taken next
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Based on the details provided, it seems that there is infection in that area. This infection may be related to the same tooth or adjacent tooth.

I will suggest you to visit your dentist again and get the clinical examination done. An x-ray of related teeth region is in order.

After complete examination and X-ray -
1) If the infection is found in the same tooth then it is because of root canal treatment failure.
The treatment option for this situation is re-treatment of the same tooth. It would be better to get the re-treatment (if required) done by an endodontist.
2) If the infection is related to the adjacent tooth, you should take a proper treatment of related tooth - that includes a course of antibiotic.

If you have recent x-ray of that teeth region you can upload it by clicking on the button on right side 'upload the detail'. I may be able to comment further.

Hope this helps. If you have further any query feel free to ask, I will be happy to help you.

Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta