RBCs present in semen analysis. Is it normal?

i got my semen analysis done today in that RBCS is coming 8-10HPF is it normal
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

On routine semen analysis, RBCs are usually not found. However, their presence indicates infection or inflammation in the reproductive tract. A count of 8 to 10/HPF is definitely high. Please do attach the entire semen analysis report, if possible.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Also, please write briefly about the reason for doing the semen analysis.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: RBCs present in semen analysis. Is it normal? 40 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt response but still i am not able to understan that why it has come?Pl find my report details below:
Macroscopic :Volume 2.0ml
color greyish white
pH 8.0
opaque opaque
viscosity poor viscous
liquification time 30 mins
sperm count 8.1X10 power 6 /ml

Actively motile 50%
sluggishly motile 10%
non motile 40%
pus cells 2-4
epithelial cells nil
RBCS 8-10

normal 50%
abnormal 50%
This is my full semen report i carried out this we are going ahead with test tube baby thats why this test dr told me tp carry out.Now will you pl guide me that how this rbc is coming at higher side.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 hours later

Thank you for the detailed description.

The most probable cause for presence of RBCs in your semen analysis seems to be an ongoing infection, also minor trauma to the reproductive tract while collecting the sample could be a cause. If it is a onetime occurrence, there is no need to worry. If repeat tests show the same value of RBCs, please let your doctor know about it. You may have to take a course of antibiotics.

The sperm count of 8.1 million per ml is low; all other parameters are normal including motility.

In all artificial reproductive techniques, the semen is processed further before injecting into the woman. So, do not worry.

Please revert back in case of clarifications.

All the best

Dr. Shanthi
Follow-up: RBCs present in semen analysis. Is it normal? 2 hours later
Dear Dr Thanks for your response know i am bit tension less.

I dont know how to share with you but i am having one small injury few days back or you can say it got cleared before 2 days of giving the sample its an small thing with some amount of pus most probably in a vein in have seen it.

One more thing i am not fasting for a single day before giving the sample and even i break it for two times in a day myself.

I shared this with you as i want to know becasue of this is there any impact on report.

After how many days once again i can go for the test?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 29 minutes later
Hello and Thanks for writing back.

The small injury that you had a few days back may be the actual reason for the RBCs on the test report.

Fasting for a day has no effects on the quantity or quality of semen.

Let the injury heal, you may go for the repeat test after a week and preferably after 2 to 3 days of sexual abstinence.

Hope this help. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further concerns.