Quitted smoking due to laryngitis. Feeling tightness in throat. Taking apo-esomeprzole. Concerned?

I smoked cigarettes and pot for 30 odd years. Last September, I finally quit because of what I thought was laryngitis. Some of the hoarseness went away after two one-month courses of apo-esomeprazole, but a persistent pain, just beneath my adam's XXXXXXX and which sometimes extends into my chin does not go away. I clear my throat now and then, but the phlegm doesn't come up as far as my mouth. I also feel tightness in my throat. I am worried about something serious but my doctor just keeps on prescribing the apo-esomeprzole. I have never had stomach problems or acidity of any kind, so I'm concerned that he is not treating the problem which could be more serious.What do you recommend?
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later

Likely, you are suffering from chronic laryngitis, which is commonly due to allergy, acid reflux, infective when associated with sinusitis.

With no history suggestive of allergy or sinusitis (nasal symptoms, sinus headaches) likely it is due to reflux or due to smoking in past.

Continue esmoprazole in a maintenance dose of 20 mg a day also ensure you do not sleep 2 hrs after meals and reduce weight if excess.

Also repeatedly clearing your throat will increase irritation, avoid that.

Get an indirect laryngoscopy and endoscopy done to confirm the diagnosis and rule out other problems. 24 hours PH metry is gold standard to confirm acid reflux.

Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Quitted smoking due to laryngitis. Feeling tightness in throat. Taking apo-esomeprzole. Concerned? 33 hours later
Thank you. I have no excess weight, and I only need to clear my throat occasionally. But because I smoked unfiltered tobacco for many years, I am worried about something more serious. If that were the case, would there be any different symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 4 hours later

If your symptoms are worsening / if you have change in voice / blood in sputum / noticed any lump in neck then need to be thoroughly evaluated.

If you have persistent long standing symptoms better to get an laryngoscope, bronchoscopy or CT scan to be sure along with an regular follow up with your ENT doctor.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Wish you a speedy recovery...