Quit tobacco. Now have headaches, sore throat, cough, foul smell, heaviness in head. Uric acid high. What is going on?

I had been a chewing tobacco addict for over 15 years. On 10th of January 2012, I decided to quit and I abruptly cut off my intake by almost 90% and all hell broke loose. For the first 7-10 days the headache, light headedness and head spinning took me in. Gradually it subsided and then started headaches. Mostly in evening time and the intensity had been unbearable. Gradually the intensity started to diminish but it still happens. Then came the phase of soar throat which I started feeling by around 29th January 2012 onwards. For first week i Occasionally felt something very bad smelling (i can not exactly describe it, but more like an old cough), inside my mouth. I started remaining very depressed as with every bout of headache and throat pain I started feeling like I will die of cancer or tumour or something unknown to me. I saw a local physician and he suggested to get tested for Thyroid, Diabetes and Ceratrinine. All reports came fine with exception of Uric Acid was marginally on higher side. He suggested to take Depsonil 20 Mg. for 2 weeks and thats it.
My headaches always started from above the left eye and it covered the entire forehead and vanished in 2-3 hours. It is still continuing but intensitry has gone down substantially. Even the soar throat is still there and as of recently for last 10 days I have started feeling that my voice is getting rougher and rougher especialy at the morning and after my evening meals.

Now I always feel a heaviness in my head just like I am drunk and that forces me to focus a lot while working.

I am desparately trying to figure out what it could be. Somebody please help.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
You are classically having withdrawal symptoms after quitting your chewing tobacco.
Normally these symptoms are most in first two weeks and gradually they subside in 4 to 6 weeks and this is what is happening to you.
Although you are still smoking the symptoms are still pronounced even with half of nicotine absence.
Sore throat is temporary and will be alright soon with home remedies like hot saline gargles.
Remember it took time to get used to chewing tobacco so it will take more time to adjust now.
Don't let feelings of any type to lead you back to chewing tobacco.
Since nicotine speeds up metabolism so any decrease in nicotine reduces your metabolism and hence gain of weight.

Develop a regular exercise regime which will make you fit soon.
Exercise will not only reduce your weight but bring a sense of well being in you.
The biggest challenge for you is beating longterm craving and staying away from chewing tobacco.
Your next goal should be to quit smoking.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.
Thanks and best of luck.