Quit taking alprazolam, Has dizziness, confused state. Due to withdrawal from medication? Is it serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my husband is 73 he quit taking alprazolam 4 days ago. He has had a dizziness and confussed for about 15 seconds which has happened once each day since quitting the medication. Today it happened 3 times. Do you think this was a withdrawal from quitting the medication or is it something more serious that he needs to see a doctor. Never had this happen before.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later

Sudden intermittent spells of short lasting dizziness is not likely to be due to withdrawal from alprazolam. The more probable causes are macular degeneration or cardiac problem like missed beats or a minor stroke.

Such episodes at his age should not be ignored and must be investigated properly to rule out underlying pathologies.

I encourage you to visit your primary physician for related investigations and screening.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.