Quit smoking, excessive bloating, increased heartburn, weight gain, psoriasis possibility

Hi, I recently quit smoking (not sure if this is important but i dont think i have been eating that much more than normal) & since then (approx 2 months) i have had extremely excessive wind and bloating, increased heartburn/reflux, weight gain & possibly a psoriosis flare up (one small XXXXXXX but ive only had it once) I'm not sure which direction to turn to (doctors/naturopaths etc), ive always had slow digestion but i have never been given much advice.I have been eating healthy & exercising a couple of days a week for an hr. I am 27, female, 156cm and now approx 68kilos.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 35 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Two possibilities are coming to my mind from your symptoms.

1)     The first possibility is of gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is usually after eating a heavy fatty meal and sedentary lifestyle. It can also be caused by drinking too much alcohol, prolonged use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen, stress or infection with bacteria such as Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori).

2)     Second possibility is of severe abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating and alteration of bowel habits like alternate constipation and loose stools.

There are many triggers for psoriasis which include friction from clothing, skin trauma, weather changes, stress and anxiety, low levels of calcium and due to intake of certain drugs. It is important to note that acid reflux, IBS and psoriasis; all three can be triggered by any form of stress to the body. Even eating more than you do can be due to stress or anxiety. So it is important to regulate any form of stress in your life.

You need to consult a physician and get these possibilities ruled out. You may need a hydrogen breath test to rule out any H. pylori infection and a fasting blood sugar level ( as polyphagia(eating more) is a symptom of diabetes).

Till that time, make some lifestyle changes which will help in decreasing the symptoms:

1)     Eat healthy, nutritious food and take it 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also keep the head end of your bed elevated by two blocks and avoid eating a single, heavy meal.

2)     Alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like whole grain breads, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms. Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods.

3)     Also drink plenty of fluids and water and try to stop alcohol if there is history of intake of any such substance. Also start doing daily exercises, brisk walks, XXXXXXX breathing exercises which help in decreasing acid production.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.