Quit smoking. On lisinopril for HBP. Getting sore throat. Should I be worried about angioedema?

I recently quit smoking, and I take lisinopril for my high blood pressure. A few days after quitting smoking, I noticed that my throat became sore, and my voice has been hoarse. I've been coughing more than normal, and my throat feels itchy. It could be a cold, but my concern is, should I be worried about angioedema? I've taken lisinopril now for about 3 years, and this is the first time I've noticed symptoms.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 25 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is nice and wise of you to have stopped the smoking. Congratulations. Your motivation / follow up are great indeed and need appreciation.

You should go and SEE YOUR DOCTOR as soon as possible. If it is angio-oedema, it could be a serious thing to be diagnosed or treated by yourself..

ACE blockers like Lisinopril are well known to cause such things.
They occur in the initial days and are less likely after such long-term use.
Yet in a situation like this, give the benefit of doubt and change it.
An ARB (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker – sartan - there are so many of them) has similar function and devoid of this side effect. There are several other classes of drugs (with different mechanisms of action) are available...

Your description sounds like allergy or a viral ifection.
     You NED EXAMINATION by a physician for proper assessment and assistance.

In the mean time, stopping the drug and taking an anti-histamine will help

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck