Queasy stomach. Have diabetes. What could it be?

My stomach is quezy and I feel like I have to throw up but cannot. I have been going to the bathroom fine. No hunger problems either, but I have been eating toast, soups, and jello mostly. This has been lingering for about. 3 weeks now. I am a viable tic and I am 56yrs old.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 2 hours later
Your description sounds like you could have what is called "gastroparesis", or delayed gastric emptying. This is fairly common in diabetics, particularly if you have had diabetes for many years, even if it is controlled at this time.
This is basically a neuropathy of the stomach. It can be diagnosed with a radiology test called "gastric emptying study", where they have you eat a toast or eggs that have a radiologic marker, and then you get xrays of your stomach, and a measure of your gastric emptying is made. If you indeed have this condition then there are a few medications available that you should discuss with your gastroenterologist, since most of them have other side effects. In the meantime, small meals, low in fat can help with your symptoms. Make sure your sugar remains well controlled at all times. Avoid any pain medications, since those can actually worsen gastrointestinal symptoms.
There are other issues that could be going on as well, such as an ulcer causing a narrowing or blockage of your stomach (in the pyloric area), medication induced symptoms, viral illness.
Hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions.