Quadruple coronary bypass surgery, non -ulcerative nodule in stomach, chance of malignancy?

i had quadruple coronary bypass in early XXXXXXX i had also been a long term user (on and off) of naproxen for myofacial muscle pain. after the surgery they started me on coreg and aspirin, and i developed stomach trouble. i had a stomach endoscope today. they found a "clean" ulcer, no sign of bleeding, but also a nodule, which they have biopsied. what are the chances that the nodule is cancerous? they said it didn't look cancerous but "that's not 100 per cent."
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later

I do not have your age but presume to be 50+ in view of Coronary Artery Bypass Graft.

Naproxen and ecosprin are notorious to cause gastric ulcers as they impair gastric bicarbonate secretion.

These are not associated with gastric cancers and are infact protective in some cases.

Gastric cancer can be - nodular / Proliferative
- Ulcerative
- Ulceroproliferative
- Linitis plastica (thickened stomach)

Diagnosis solely based on appearance is imperfect even-though it may be suggestive.

So do not worry.

Hence please wait for the biopsy report.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Quadruple coronary bypass surgery, non -ulcerative nodule in stomach, chance of malignancy? 1 hour later
they said the nodule was not ulcerative, and said nothing about a thickened stomach. so do i understand correctly that the only category left would be "nodular/proliferative"? and would that mean more than one? since there was only one, is that a good sign?
Follow-up: Quadruple coronary bypass surgery, non -ulcerative nodule in stomach, chance of malignancy? 19 minutes later
one more thing. i have Common Variable Immune Deficiency. When last tested my IGA was 60.9. the Deficiency overall is mild; half of my values are normal, half are a bit low. I have not been on any treatment for the Deficiency.

Does that change the picture? I've read that people with CVID are at risk for stomach cancer.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi again,

I think we should not read too much into descriptions and start building castles in air. Even if you have mild variant of Common Variable Immunodeficiency that doesn't change anything.

Please wait for the biopsy and trust your gastroenterologist.

Hope my answer is adequate and informative.

I once again thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX