Quadruple bypass surgery done. Having pain in breast and around the incision. When will the pain go?

I have had 9 months ago quadruple bypass surgery, I still experience pain on and around the incision , iis that normal when will the pain go away? Pain is more sever on the breast area.
There is no redness nor do I have a fever.

Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your question with diligence.

Nine months is long enough period when pain/ itching from the local incision wound site go away. There are two main causes:
1. Keloid formation : according to you there is no red swelling scar.
2. Infection can be indolent and can be there without fever. I am sure the surgeon
would have chance to look at the wound site carefully. That excludes it too.

You have mentioned that pain is more so in breast area. Injury to the rib cage (cartilage and bones while chest is retracted during surgery) at times does take long time to heal properly or entrap a sensory nerve while healing this canopin lead to pain, a second opinion from a different surgeon is called for and ought to be taken. Your description does not suggest any kind of recurrence of disease or graft occlusion so rest assured on that count. If you have follow up query please mention. I will answer asap happily. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW