Ask a Urologist   »  

Quadriplegic. Use external catheter. Noticed sweaty substance does not allow catheter to be stuck. What is this?

General Surgeon
I am a quadriplegic and where an external catheter or XXXXXXX catheter almost 24 hrs a day... Recently I have had kind of a condensation or sweaty substance which will not allow the catheter to stay stuck. I can wipe the substance off and it comes right back with in seconds. If I use skin prep it burns terribly, but still won't stick. The prep also is causing the foreskin to be very red and swollen, sometimes causing raised bumps... Not discolored. I have been on antibiotics for several months now for kidney and respitory infections. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

From your description most likely antibiotics and severe catheter usage has caused fungal infection. Presence of the catheter on the penis causes very moist environment. Such environment is very good for candida (or other fungi) to develop. If so, white substance appears. Itching and red patches can be also present.

Antibiotics always cause natural skin bacteria (which protect from other infections) destruction. It makes more possible for fungi to develop.

I suggest you to visit your doctor (if possible) and have antifungal cream prescribed. You should also stop using catheter (if possible) or limit the usage till the infection will be over. You should also keep your penis dry and clean.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.