Putting hand in mouth, pulling on them and shaking uncontrollably. Stomping feet and screaming

Question
My husband has been experience moments when he puts his hand or hands in his mouth, pulls on them and sometimes shakes. The shaking is uncontrollable. Sometimes it goes on for as long as 10 minutes. He also stomps his feet and screams. It gets scary sometimes.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

In view of the details of these episodes, it is very likely that he is getting seizures.

Involuntary episodic movement of limbs like shaking is common presentation of a convulsion.

One can get seizures at any age and there are many underlying cause which can lead to it.

Ideally every such case needs evaluation by neurologist sooner. So please consider to see your doctor sooner. After few investigations suitable treatment can be proposed.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask if there are doubts.

Regards.

Follow-up: Putting hand in mouth, pulling on them and shaking uncontrollably. Stomping feet and screaming 21 hours later
Would that explain his pulling on his hands with his mouth and shaking? Also would that explain why he screams?

thanks very much for you answers.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up question.

Yes, that can be part of convulsion episode.

Regards.

Follow-up: Putting hand in mouth, pulling on them and shaking uncontrollably. Stomping feet and screaming 11 hours later
Thanks so much for answering my questions. The problem now will be getting him to go to the dr. again. A couple of years ago, he slipped on ice and hit the back of his head so hard it tore his brain loose from the tendons in his skull that it just flopped in his skull when he turned his head. I will always believe that is what caused his problem. He never started shaking and pulling at his fingers with his teeth before that. His dr. ordered a MRI and that is what it showed. Hardening of the arteries in his brain. He is on BP medicine and aspirin. They said nothing else could be done. Thanks again for your answers.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 23 minutes later
Post-traumatic seizures are known and they can occur any time after such kind of head injuries. I think if doctor has seen him once and gone through MRI report then you can discuss about starting some prophylactic treatment.I assume that he was seen by a neurologist.If that was not the case then an opinion of neurologist needs to be considered.

Regards.