Put tampon in rectum. Is it possible to be stuck in the sigmoid colon or passed with bowel movement?

General Surgeon
Question
Ok, I am a little embarrassed. I was drinking with friends and in a dare I put a tampon in my rectum (I pushed all the way in). The problem is I can't remember it coming out (Was pretty drunk). It has been 4 days since then and I have normal bowel movements every day, but I still have not seen it in my feces. I tried feeling in my rectum and I can't feel it, that is why I am worried it has gone into my sigmoid colon. Is it possible to be stuck in the sigmoid colon and still have normal bowel movements? Or could I have passed it and not realized? Very concerned right now.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

In most cases when you put something in to an anus, it gets excreted with the first stool. If such thing gets stuck, causes abdominal pain and intestines obstruction. It can also result with intestine perforation and abscess. As sigmoid colon is quite expandable it is possible that although your bowel movements are fine, this tampon is still there. That is why if you are not sure about it, it is advisable for you to have colonoscopy. It will tell either the tampon is there or not.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Put tampon in rectum. Is it possible to be stuck in the sigmoid colon or passed with bowel movement? 52 minutes later
Is it possible it is stuck to the colon wall? If so would this not cause fever from infection? I would have thought that something like this would just come out with a bowel movement. What would cause it to get stuck? I guess I was very much mistaken then.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, exactly it is possible it stuck to the colon wall. And for some time it can not cause any symptoms even fever (it would act like a stool when constipated). As colon has some narrow places, some turns, it is possible that it has found some place like that. It can also get sticked to the wall.
But like I said, the most probable is that you have it excreted without knowing it. However, as it can (doesnt have to) happen that it is still there, and it can cause life threatening complications I can not tell you to do nothing with it. It is advisable to get checked. And probably colonoscopy will tell that it is gone, but still it might be too serious to neglect it.

Regards.