Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose. Could this be a side effect of the oxygen?

I had a conlonoscopy yesterday and they put the oxygen in my nose. I have been sneezing and my nose has been running ever since I woke up from the anesthesia. I do not have allergies and I do not have a cold. Could this be a side effect of the oxygen. I do not know what anesthesia they used and I don't know if it was through the IV or the nose.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

I am sorry that you feel unwell post procedure.

Oxygen is a dry gas and when delivered via nasal canula at high rates for a long time it can irritate the mucosal lining of the nose and cause the symptoms that you are describing.

In addition, some people react badly to the nasal prongs themselves and may have runny nose and sneezing just as a result of the prongs.

Though some drugs used for anesthesia are irritants they are no more in regular practice now. The newer ones would not usually cause the symptoms.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Feel free to ask any other questions