Puss keeps coming from the eye, feeling sore and lower eye lid is puffy. White spot close to nose side. Suggest the treatment?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Puss keeps coming on the left eye. It is sore and the lower eyelid is puffy. I don't see a stie on the eye but there is a white spot close to the nose side on the top of the lower lid.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
infected lacrimal gland

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and I am an ENT consultant and frequently deal with infections of the lacrimal sac and gland which is intimately related to the nose.

I have read your symptoms and it is most likely that your have an infection of the lacrimal sac or gland which is technically called DACROCYSTORHINITIS

Although it sounds scary let me assure you that it is just like any other infection like a boil and if you treat it properly it will subside in a around four to five days.

You need to immediately start on an antibiotic like a combination of amoxycillin-clavulanate in a dose of 625 mg after food for five days along with an anti inflammatory/ pain killer drug like serratiopeptidase/ diclofenac after food for five days. Your doctor will know about these drugs. You can also add an antibiotic eye drops for better symptom control.

You need to wash your face regularly and keep your eyes clean
You can also try hot fomentation to fasten the recovery and reduce the pain and swelling

You will definitely feel better in four to five days but if you feel that you are not feeling that good or the symptoms are worsening then you must XXXXXXX your ENT/ opthalmologist

Hope I have cleared your doubts and you can ask any more doubts which i will be more than happy to answer

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan