Puss filled bump on the back, mild bleeding. Not healing

I have a bump on my back, my daughter thought it looked like a pimple, but it was sore. She went to pop it for me and this thick white puss came out at first, and now its more runny looking, kinda of like a watered down MAyonase look, with blood..9sorry to grose you out if you like Mayo). She popped it last night and it seemd fine,m she looked at it again today it was like it built up for round two. I started thinking it was a spider bite but, after seeing it in the mirror, thats not what it looks like. I'm starting to worry now, please help.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 11 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Skin lesions of the size that you describe are common. And are most commonly the result of superficial staphylococcus bacterial infection. Spider bites are not usually pustules, are more inflamed and painful, much more serious if a poisonous one. So, that's good news for you.

I would suggest you to stop popping those blisters right away, and keep the area clean. You could apply over the counter antiseptics for a couple of days after bath, to see if the lesion gets any better. You can plan the next step later, in the event if it doesn't. Keep a vigil on the number of lesions. Go for a review if numbers are increasing steadily and worsening happens over the next few days.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Puss filled bump on the back, mild bleeding. Not healing 54 minutes later
Its not a blister though, its one small area on my back like a pimple but...bigger. And I put Neosperoin on it last night, but did not seem to help, actually even more puss came out of it tonight....?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later

Thanks for your follow up.

The repeated built up of pus and discharge suggests that the infection is persisting and is not responding to Neosporin.

I would advise you to go for a short course of oral antibiotic like amoxicillin or azithromycin along with a topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin- after a doctor’s advice and prescription.

Repeated pressing at times can spread the infection to near vicinity and lead to worsening of lesion.

Dr.Rohit Batra