Pus filled swelling on skull and thyroid gland. FNAC and ultrasound done. What are the findings?

Radiologist
Question
My mother about 56 yrs old has had a swelling on the right side of her skull and swelling on her thyroid gland (right side of the neck). Of late the swelling on the skull has burst and brown puss is flowing out of it.
I want to upload the FNAC and Ultrasound reports for your better understanding.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
HI, welcome XXXXXXX and thanks for writing in.
I have seen your reports. However only FNAC report is available on dashboard. First of all I want admit both conditions are completely separate and benign. No need to worry too much.
Thyroid has goitre which has few types , out of which your mother has adenomatous variety. It may need surgical or medical management depending on size and symptoms.
Scalp swelling is kertigenous cyst which is similar to boil in some way. It is also known as sebaceous cyst. It will get resolved in few days after treatment.

Please try to upload USG report again so we can discuss its management better.

Looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pus filled swelling on skull and thyroid gland. FNAC and ultrasound done. What are the findings? 19 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your valuable input.

actually the file upload limit is only 2MB and the USG files are larger so am not able to upload them here. Is it possible that i can mail them?

Hi, welcome back.
No problem you cam mail it my id YYYY@YYYY or contact customer support. Let me know when you send it.

Looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pus filled swelling on skull and thyroid gland. FNAC and ultrasound done. What are the findings? 39 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

I have mailed you the reports in your above mentioned gmail id.
Thanks a ton for your prompt response.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome back. I got your reports.
Ultrasonography report is consistent with benign nature of thyroid swelling I.e. adenomatous goitre. However its size is quite large , it needs surgical management. It's decision is depends on your ENT surgeon and symptoms.
Ct scan brain is also consistent with pathology report of epidermal cyst or sebaceous cyst.
There no evidence of any malignancy or cancer. So no need to worry so much.

Hope I have answered your query. If you are satisfied with my response. Please write a review.

Regards.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pus filled swelling on skull and thyroid gland. FNAC and ultrasound done. What are the findings? 4 minutes later
Dr. can you please suggest where i can take my mother for the surgery in Bangalore.

Thanks a lot, the news it slightly relieving. But i suppose i should quickly rid of both the swellings.

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
I can suggest to find a specialist in ENT OR SURGICAL field. It depends on your paying capacity and availability.
It is quite difficult for me to suggest any specific hospital as it is against policy. Hope you can understand our problems.

Regards.