Pus filled, painful boil on the shoulder. In pre-diabetic stage. Has to be removed?

Question
I developed a XXXXXXX puss sack that has grown to around 2.5 x 3" in size and it's .5 - .75 tall. It hurts like crazy. It's 3:17 am EST but should I go to the hospital and have it lanced? Can a GP do it in a regular office?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hi Crover,

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have it?
2.) Do you swelling and redness surrounding it?
3.) Do you have fever?
4.) Where exactly is it present on your body?

Your History suggests you have a skin abscess which is usually a result of hair follicle infection. It could be a boil or carbuncle. You can usually care for a single one at home, but don't attempt to prick or squeeze it, that may spread the infection.

You should see a Doctor if it bothering you with pain and if it is disturbing your sleep. For the time being, Apply a warm washcloth or compress to the affected area, this helps it drain more quickly and the pain should subside, wash your hands after that.

In the Morning, get yourself examined so that a antibiotics and analgesics for symptomatic relief and for preventing future infections.

If the infection is spreading he/she may ask for a Blood Work and Culture to know the causative organism and you will be treated accordingly. Also get your Blood Sugars tested after discussing it with your Doctor.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Pus filled, painful boil on the shoulder. In pre-diabetic stage. Has to be removed? 1 hour later
To answer your questions:
1.) Since how long do you have it? 1.5-2 weeks ago, small at first and it has continued growing in size
2.) Do you swelling and redness surrounding it? Yes
3.) Do you have fever? No
4.) Where exactly is it present on your body? On my back, near the bottom of my shoulder blade but a little closer to my side.
I thought it would go away but it keeps getting bigger and now I'm concerned. I put some bacitracine on it for the first time this evening, but I don't know if it would penetrate that XXXXXXX I think opening it and taking antibiotics would help. The strange thing is they have happened in the same relative height on my back, twice on the left side and now on the right side. Do you think it's indicative of any other problem. I forgot to mention that, recently, the Dr's started saying I'm close to Diabetes. I have to get an allergy injection this morning so I will show my Dr. Maybe he can do something about it. I started to get really worried and wrote to you because another site said it could cause tissue damage and I could get a fever. Thank you for replying, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 36 minutes later
Hi Crover,

Thank you for Writing Back to me.

Kindly don't worry as there seems to be nothing serious, there is just a pus build up there which has to be drained.

Once done, it will start healing gradually with a course of antibiotics and good diet.

Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight since you have Pre-Diabetes. Eat healthy and stay healthy.

Good Luck.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.