Pus filled lump appeared on nose. How to remove this?

I am late 50S and my nose tip has got larger and full of puss.??
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The condition you are mostly suffering from is folliculitis of the nose. This occurs when hair follicles get infected by bacteria. It leads to the formation of a small cavity/abscess under the skin. This cavity consists of pus and dead tissue (sometimes even a small amount of blood).

Do not worry, this is a common condition and usually clears itself, without requiring any medical treatment.

But, in cases where the folliculitis is causing discomfort (pain, fever, embarrassment due to location, etc.) it is treated with antibiotic therapy. This will include a topical antibiotic cream (tobramycin, ciprofloxacin, etc.) that you can apply on your nose and a systemic antibiotic (eg. dicloxacillin, cephalexin, etc; tablet form). A short course usually helps in providing complete relief. In the meantime you could maintain good hygiene of the affected area, and even apply warm compresses to the site.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications. I would be glad to help. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.