Pus-filled bump on buttocks, greyish-brown discharge after popping. What could this be?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi I had a bump on my butt which seemed like it was filled with puss. Went to the doc who gave my meds and said its a boil that has got an infection and said it will pop. It popped today but there was no puss inside, instead A LOT of a paste like thing game out, greyish brown in colour. Have attached an image. What oculd this be? i am freaking out right now as this does not look good. A lot of this came out of the boil.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 11 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

The pic attached is clear. I appreciate it.

This doesnt look like a boil at all.

The thing visible in the pic is the cyst lining or sac of a sebaceous cyst.

You may have seen some cheesy material coming out too.

For how long did you have this bump? Was it painful? Do you have any pic of the intact bump as well?

In any case, this is not something you should be worried about. Sebaceous cysts are very common and harmless and now you have got rid of it. So cheers!.

If there is anything else I can help you with, I will be more than happy..

Thanks

Follow-up: Pus-filled bump on buttocks, greyish-brown discharge after popping. What could this be? 1 hour later
hi doc,

thanks for your response.

it has popped so it is open now and the bump is still there..its just open.
will this heal on its own? dont want to just leave it open.

regards,
chand

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

You can do an antiseptic dressing. Change every day.

You didnt tell me, how long did you have this for?

Follow-up: Pus-filled bump on buttocks, greyish-brown discharge after popping. What could this be? 29 minutes later
Hi Doc,

I had an initial bump/boil for over a year. It was red and a bit harder.
The past week or so though it got bigger and felt like it got filled with pus.

Thats when I went tothe doctor to show him and he said it was a boil with an infection. He gave me medicine and told me it would pop.

I have saved some of the pasty, greyish material in a container.

I would have to change the dressing every day??

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 8 minutes later
Ok. It must be a sebaceous cyst only and not a boil per se. This time it would have got secondary infection.

Changing dressing daily is the best practice atleast for the initial 3-4 days. Then you change every 48 hours till healing.

You can do it yourself. Just clean the area with betadine. apply an antibiotic cream and then cover with gauze and tape.

You do not need to go to a doctor for this.

Thanks