Pus appeared at the cuticle bed. Used peroxide to clean. What is the required treatment?

General Surgeon
Question
I just did. Did it not go through? Again; 2 nights ago I was awakened by a throbbing painful right toe. No previous symptoms. Had a pedicure 2 weeks ago. That night I soaked the toe with epson salts and hot water. put bacitracin on and bandage. Next morning seemed better.Jogged yesterday and today, walked; no pain. Then today after exercise; pus appeared under the top of the toe and at the cuticle bed. I use peroxide to clean it and soaked and covered again. The nail appears to have pus under it as it is slightly forward from the bed. What to do next to get out pus and or heal it. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 38 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

What you do suffer from is called paronychia. This disease is caused by tissues infection what results with pus accumulation. As the nail is very tender and sensitive, pus accumulation under it gives strong pain. The best way to get it treated is partial nail removal and pus drainage. Moreover, antibiotics (like Clindamycine) should be prescribed.
Most of paronychias needs surgical treatment and you wont be able to deal with it by yourself.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pus appeared at the cuticle bed. Used peroxide to clean. What is the required treatment? 13 minutes later
I understand your suggestion. About 25 years ago, I had a "something" tumor on the bottom side of this toe. The tumor was the culprit; pressing on the nail bed from behind. After many trys , I found an orthopedic foot surgeon who removed the tumor and nail A new nail has grown in and is not a perfect nail.Surgery was difficult and ong to heal. I would like to try a less .extreme method first is it possible to drain the pus first and see what happens along with an antibiotic?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Hello!

Technically it is possible to try it drain without removing the nail, however it may become ineffective (as I cannot see it, it is hard for me to tell if it will work for you).
But still surgeon visit is necessary if you wont the pain to go away. Antibiotics usually does not penetrate to the pus so it can work only after the drainage.
So in conclusion, nail removal is not extremely necessary. The surgeon who will examine you will make a decision what is the best method of the treatment.

Regards.