Purple red scars, spider veins, behind calves of the legs, caused due to hot wax. Solutions ?

I have large (4 in. diameter) red/purple scars with many spider veins on the back of both calf's of my legs caused by hot wax occuring over a year ago. Is there anything I can do?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand the scars and the veins are causing you cosmetic issues.

As you mentioned that it is more than a year now, there is remote possibility that they will disappear on their own. The coloured scars after a burn is composed of fibrous tissue that after a certain amount of time is deemed repaired by the body and remains so. And plastic reconstruction of the skin tissue is the option if you have that big size. I doubt if laser can help.

The spider veins (telangiectasia) would have options like injecting a sclerosing agent like ethanolamine etc to close them up from internally. Another option would be laser therapy. Many new lasers with the dermatologist can burn out the tissue and give you a normal skin appearance. Surgery too is a lesser used option.

I first refer my patients to a surgeon doing sclerotherapy, because of the ease and cost issues.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.