Ask a Dentist   »  

Purple lump on lingual frenulum after oral sex. Applied hydrogen peroxide. What are the risk?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have a purple like ball in the middle of my lingual frenulum (on the skin under my tongue that connects the bottom of my tongue to the floor of my mouth) I was having sexual activity with my girlfriend , giving oral sex and I felt a rip or pain but the pain is gone, I have no pain from it at all, I think it was healing well and a few days after we started getting frisky again and she sucked my tongue causing another rip and it bled but we kept kissing. The next morning I had a purple dark ball there and it bled in the morning for 2 days so far but at the moment I've had no bleeding and I've been swishing my mouth with hydrogen peroxide and applying some directly on it
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
If the swelling appeared after the episode of pain then there is a high likelihood of it being a hematoma( blood clot) for which nothing needs to be done at present as it is asymptomatic.
However if the swelling existed prior to the trauma episode then it could be a cyst. In that case it may require surgical intervention.
As you have taken adequate antibiotics the chance of infection is very less.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards

Follow-up: Purple lump on lingual frenulum after oral sex. Applied hydrogen peroxide. What are the risk? 12 hours later
How long will this take to be gone or healed and is there anything I can do to help it heal better.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 10 hours later
thanks for the feedback.
If it belongs to the first category as I had described ,then it would require about 4 to 6 weeks to disappear.
However if it belongs to the second category of a cystic swelling then it has to be surgically removed.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards