Purple freckle appeared on vagina. Can shaving cause this?

last night I noticed a very small blackish purple freckle right at the edge of my vaginal labia, it is definitely raised. I actually have 2 others that are not raised and brown. This one concerns me as it is different. I do shave there so thought maybe it was due to that, I tried to squeeze it thinking it was a blood blister, but it doesn't seem to be. It is about the size of a pin-head.
Posted Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later

I will be glad to be of assistance.

I can understand your concern.

There is a possibility that it could be seborrheic keratosis.

This is a benign growth that is dead skin and can occur as an aging change.

But it would be best to visit your dermatologist who can examine it and rule out any malignancy if present.

He would be able to do a dermatoscopy which will allow him to see the freckle microscopically.

That will enable him to confirm the diagnosis and treat it appropriately.

Please let me know of you have any additional concerns.

Follow-up: Purple freckle appeared on vagina. Can shaving cause this? 24 hours later
It is not anything like seborrheic is purple raised and shiny, like a blood blister, but it is not...I am concerned it could be a melanoma...
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

It could be melanoma. Hence you need to visit your dermatologist for a dermatoscopy so that melanoma can be ruled out.

Dermatoscopy allows visualization of the structures within the skin.

Hence that would be helpful to you.