Purple, blue and red bruise through the calf muscle. Is DMSO safe to accelerate healing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I PULLED MY HAMSTRING ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO. I HAD A PURPLE. BLUE, AND RED BRUISE THAT HAS TRAVELED DOWN TO MY CALF, AND IS MOVING TOWARDS MY FOOT. AS THE BRUISE MOVES, IT CAUSES PAIN TO THE CALF MUSCLE. IT HAD ORIGINALLY BEEN ISOLATED TO MY HAMSTRING AREA. AS THE BRUISE MOVES DOWN TO MY FOOT, I WAS WORRIED THAT THIS MAY BE A XXXXXXX CONDITION. I WAS MAINLY FEARING CLOTS. I'M A 49 YEAR OLD ACTIVE PERSON THAT'S RUN ALL MY LIFE. IS THIS A CONDITION I NEED TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT, OR WILL IT JUST GO AWAY. The BRUISE ON THE HAMSTRING IS ALMOST GONE. A
LSO, DO YOU THINK IT'S SAFE TO USE DMSO TO ACCELERATE THE HEALING PROCESS, OR WILL THAT ONLY COMPLICATE MY CONDITION.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a minor bruise on your leg. It is normal for the discolored area to move downwards due to gravity and to show the color changes.
Your symptoms are not suggestive of DVT. Please do not worry. Applying DMSO on the area will help the healing but it is best to avoid applying anything on it. It will gradually disappear on its own in 2weeks without any treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.