Purchased Saigon cinnamomum. Which one is the best?

H i.I purchased Saigon cinnamomum.Now I find there is different types.Which is the best.Or which do you recommend.I type very slow. Thanks for your info. XXXXXXX E.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ceylon cinnamon is the best recommended..

Detailed Answer:

Saigon cinnamon is also known as XXXXXXX cinnamon, naturally grown in Vietnam and more like to Cinnamon cassia group which is quite different from Ceylon cinnamon (also called "true cinnamon").

Both cinnamon cassia and ceylon cinnamon are included in the same genus (cinnamonum), they are of different family plant.

Why is there such discussion? Because of the contents inside of these types of cinnamon; ceylon cinnamon has greater effects on blood sugar or other health purposes are greater with compared to other types.

In addition, the content of these types of cinnamon although seems to be the same, they can differ, for example in coumarin amount (less in ceylon type and more in cassia).

So, as you may see, the long-term use of cassia cinnamon type is often associated with blood coagulation problems. To date, the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment in Berlin, Germany has come out with a recommendation where asking to avoid long-term use of cinnamon cassia type.

At the end, if you like to take cinnamon once in a while, can take, no harm would come.

In case, you want to use it on daily basis (make it a habit), then, Ceylon cinnamon is the best choice although the highest price.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!