Punched in jaw, painful. Can't open jaw fully. What to do?

I was punched in the jaw. My bite was initially off but it seems fine now but 3 days later I still have pain and can't open my mouth all the way. I don't have insurance and don't know what to do.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for submitting your query.

If the pain has not worsened, this is probably a simple sore. Nothing serious. Take some like motrin twice a day for 3-5 days and apply ice pack for faster recovery.

If pain persists or increases then consult your doctor and get an x- XXXXXXX done as you already have Temperomandibular Joint (TMJ) problem.

I hope to have addressed your query. If you wish to ask anything more, you are welcome.

Wish you a speedy recovery.