Pulsations in right ear. Should I be worried?

Since yesterday I can hear blood rushing/pulsing sound in my right ear and it 's constant. Should I be worried? It's so loud that I'm keeping the tv on to try to block out the sound.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be due to different causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The sound of blood rushing in the ear or pulsations can be related to different causes.
The main possible causes are: (1) high blood pressure

(2)tinnitus- this is the perception of sound in the ear. There are different causes for tinnitus

(3)rarely it can be related to tumors in the ear or surrounding area. The increased blood flow that occurs as a result of the tumor can cause the noise.

(4)blockage of the carotid blood vessels which are present in the neck. As a result of blockage or difficult passage, the blood has to force pass the obstruction and this creates the noise.
This is more common in persons with a history of heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, history of clotting problems, smoker or in diabetes

(5)infection of the ear. This would normally be associated with a history of fever, cough and cold, pain in the ear and possibly a discharge from the ear

The only method to determine the cause of your symptoms would be a physical assessment by your doctor.
He or she will perform a general examination, check your blood pressure and examine the ears, nose and throat.

Investigations such as a hearing tests and possibly imaging tests may need to be done.
Imaging would be an xray or CT of the head and neck but this would be requested based on the examination findings.

The treatment would depend on the cause.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions