Pulsating veins in head. What could be the cause?

I have pulsating veins in my head. What could cause this?
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely to be anxiety related. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. A noticeable vein on the head that too pulsating is enough to cause distress. Commonly such visible veins are seen due to a raised blood pressure, anger, anxiety, cardiac problems like heart failure, etc. These conditions can cause a raised blood pressure, more of the blood goes to head and neck and similarly more of it is drained back making the vein to pulsate. If there are no other symptoms like palpitation, tachycardia, breathlessness, swelling of feet, etc then this is likely to be a benign symptom and is not worrisome. You can self monitor yourself for any of the above symptoms and in case the pulsations persist for more than two days then you need to get yourself examined from your physician. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pulsating veins in head. What could be the cause? 1 hour later
I don't have any of the other symptoms that you mentioned. Could dehydration or spending too much time looking at a computer monitor cause this?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to computer based work. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If there are no other symptoms then there is nothing to worry. Spending too much time in front of computer adds to anxiety and can cause such symptoms. Doing simple deep breathing relaxation exercises will help. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards