Pulsating in upper eyelids, irregular beats, at different times, not noticeable to others. On vitamin supplements and minerals. How can I stop this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Both upper eye lids pulsating, never in both eyes at the same time. The beats are irregular, and diffferent bmp. The pulse is not noticable to other people. I have low caffine intake, I supplement w/ multi-vit w/ minerals, and I get plenty of sleep. Any advice?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
From the description provided it seems that you have muscle twitches or fasciculations of your eyelid. These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.
If there is generalized weakness and fatigue then this could indicate the possibility of an endocrine or an electrolyte deficiency.
Or all these could just be due to some anxiety or stress. In that case will disappear once you are stress free.
Other causes could be, thyroid problem, excessive coffee use, or a nerve entrapment syndrome.
You might consult your doctor who can order
1. A few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels

In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.