Pulling feeling in right leg. Why is it happening? Can be cured by ice pack?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 33 years old, 6-2 and about 225 lbs. I have recently been experiencing problems with a pulling feeling in the right leg, especially after sitting for long periods of time. It is especially bad when driving. What could this be and could this be treated at home with ice / rest? This issue seems to have started after training for a 5K running event.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later

The symptoms of pulling sensation in the right leg that occurs with prolonged sitting posture could be related to neuropathy secondary to lumbar disc problems such as disc prolapsed or stenosis. A detailed clinical examination by an orthopedician or spine surgeon is warranted to confirm this possibility.

Icing may not help you much.

As you prepare to XXXXXXX your doctor, few simple measures that might help you are”:
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pulling feeling in right leg. Why is it happening? Can be cured by ice pack? 1 hour later
Thank you for the response. I am noticing that my right foot is turning inward much more than usual as well when walking, could that be related?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It is unlikely that an increased range of movement around the ankle joint is related to the pain in your leg. A clinical examination is necessary for assessment for the cause of an increased mobility around the ankle joint.
Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.