Pulled ingrown hair, pimple has formed into large red boil. Eyelid and under eye are full of fluid. Suggest?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I had an ingrown hair at the end of my eyebrow. I pulled it out and now, two days later... The pimple has formed into a large, red, shiny boil. It is very painful and I have been putting warm compresses on it many times a day. The larger the boil is getting the more swollen underneath my eye is getting. My eyelid and under eye are full of fluid as well. I was able to drain the boil a bit this evening, but I am afraid when I wake up in the morning I won't be able to see. Why is their fluid all around the eye and it almost looks like I have been punched because the color under eye is light purple like it is bruised. I am scared. I started taking some left over Cephlex I found in my cabinet yesterday and today. I plan in going into my dermatologist tomorrow. About six weeks ago, the same thing happened in my bikini area... Exactly the same way. Why is this happening?
My gender is female... I also have a bad headache from the throbbing pain coming from boil. I'm so worried that the infection is going to move to my brain... Can it do that this quickly? Or, am I safe from that since I started the antibiotic yesterday and today? I am def going to Dr. Tomorrow if they will get me in. If not... Centra Care?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
From the description it seems, you might be developing peri orbital cellulitis. It is a bacterial infection of areas around eye and might have developed due to self manipulation of the previous lesion near eye. Sometimes boils too can cause inflammatory swelling in surrounding areas. Inflammation around eye can lead to throbbing headaches but it does not mean that infection has moved to your brain

Tretment should be oral or injectable antibiotics, oral antiinflammatory analgesics and topical antibiotic cream. Sleeping in propped up position would also prevent collection of fluid underneath eyes.
I would advise an appointment with a doctor today itself. You may also contact your general physician or emergency room doctor for the same.

Hope that helped.

Follow-up: Pulled ingrown hair, pimple has formed into large red boil. Eyelid and under eye are full of fluid. Suggest? 4 hours later
Thank you very much! Yes, I will try to get in today and yes I have been trying to sleep more propped since the morning is not good under the eye:( Your answer seems right to me... I will follow up after I go in. Thank you:)

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 minutes later
Do make a visit to your doctor today. Hopefully the lesion should resolve with proper active intervention. I shall be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Pulled ingrown hair, pimple has formed into large red boil. Eyelid and under eye are full of fluid. Suggest? 2 hours later
I just sent a horrible pic of my eye! Ha! You can see the swelling, purple skin and fluid retention. I'll send pic of what it normally looks like!

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 12 hours later
I saw the pic with swelling around eyes and a small furuncle or boil. The swelling or edema seems inflammatory ie has occured in response to the boil. You definitely need oral antibiotic, oral antiinflammatory drug and topical antibiotic cream. Continue with warm water compresses.
Please XXXXXXX your doctor to get prescription of above mentioned drugs. I shall be available for further follow up.

Follow-up: Pulled ingrown hair, pimple has formed into large red boil. Eyelid and under eye are full of fluid. Suggest? 7 hours later
Hello. Dr. Kaplan,
Ended up at the ER and they said exactly what you did:) I ended up with an oral antibiotic, Bactrim DS 800 and topical ointment Bactroban. I'm supposed to follow up in two days if it does not go down. But, it definitely seems to be decreasing in size. Thank you so much! Now, I know I can really trust this site. You were great! Thank you for such quick and spot on responses and answers!
Warm Regards:)
XXXXXX.. From XXXXXXX Florida

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Your appreciation means a lot to us!
Wish you speedy recovery.
Regards.

PS should there be no further query, you may close the discussion.