Pulled a muscle in neck. Now have terrible pain. Remedy?

I recently pulled a muscle in my neck and hurt my shoulder in a fall on February 28,2013. I now have terrible pain In my right shoulder. some days are better than others but lately bad! When I lie down it hurts. It feels like my muscle is tight and I feel the need to stretch, but nothing works. I had a cold and when I cough the muscle was so tight that that I COULd FEEL PAIN IN MY NECK AND SHOULDER. I AM HEAVING TROUBLE LIFTING. I BELEIVE THAT I DID MORE THAN PULLED A MUSCLE! PLEASE HELP
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There are a few other possibilities

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for a detailed description.

From your history it seems that there is something more than muscle pull. If you were to be my patient, clinically I would consider the following conditions as close possibilities:
1. Ligament tear,
2. Damage to cartilage,
3. Sublaxation of shoulder joint,
4. like X-ray and if needed a CT Scan of shoulder joint. You would be referred to consult an orthopedic surgeon once the results of radiological tests are out.

I urge you to see a local doctor and plan the aforementioned tests if its appropriate and visit an orthopedic surgeon for further treatment.

In the interim, take some pain killer like advil 400mg twice daily whenever pain is the most severe.

I hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.