Pubic area injury, soreness, hard, tender to touch. Could I have broken something or does it take longer to heal?

Pediatrician
Question
I fell out of a raft into the water and my pubic area (just above the hair) landed on a rock and I have a huge black and blue and it's still sore a week later and it's hard and tender to touch. Could I have broken something or injured something on the inside or do you think it just takes longer than this for a bad bruise to heal?
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 11 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

If the swelling is hard and tender even after a week, then its possible that its more than a bad bruise. Also, the bruise should be healing after a week's time and should not be still tender. We would need a Xray to confirm if you have fractured the bone forming the pubic symphysis.

Applying warm compresses will give you relief and the physician may add some anti-inflammatory medicine to reduce the swelling and pain. If you do not have any high blood pressure, heart disease or acidity, you can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet 6-8 hourly ( 3-4 times a day) with food. Within 2-3 days, the pain would be relieved but we would definitely need to rule out an XXXXXXX injury here.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Pubic area injury, soreness, hard, tender to touch. Could I have broken something or does it take longer to heal? 44 hours later
Now the hard lump seems to be getting smaller even though it's still there. In your personal opinion, would this be a sign that the hematoma is going to eventually disappear and that I probably do not have a fracture?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 minutes later

It is a good sign that the lump has started reducing in size. As you have not mentioned about the intensity of pain, which I presume is reducing, then it should be a good sign and the lump should disappear in the next few days.

Fracture cannot be ruled out without an X-ray.