Prozac 40 mg,50 mg tramadol.Ok together?

I have been taking 40 mg prozac for almost a month now. Before that, i was on 20 mg for 6 weeks and my doctor increased the dosage. I am wondering if it will be ok for me to take 50 mg of tramadol with the prozac?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 minutes later

Tramadol is known to have serious drug interactions with prozac. They have reported to produce seizures when taken together.

So do not take them in combination.

Hope I have answered your query. I am available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Prozac 40 mg,50 mg tramadol.Ok together? 1 hour later
What are the chances of an interaction happening? Isn't it very rare?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Hi and thanks again.

The drug interaction that occur invivo vary among individuals. It is difficult to predict the chances of such interactions. Its not a rare occurrence. It is considered as a clinically significant interaction.

Since the interaction can produce a serious complications, I do not recommend you to take them together.