Ask a Urologist   »  

Providencia stuartii in urine, treated with IV Rocephin, still symptomatic. How long it takes to clear ?

78 yr.old mom has providencia stuartii in urine, being treated with IV Rocephin 7 days, still symptomatic, no history of UTI's or catheters. How common is this? How resistant is it and/or hard to clear up?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

Providencia stuartii UTI (like diabetics, old aged individuals, prolonged hospitalised patients, urinary catheterised patients,chronic kidney disease, etc.

Generally, Providencia species are almost always resistant to tetracyclines, older penicillins, and cephalosporins, with susceptibility to late-generation cephalosporins, aztreonam, imipenem, and meropenem. Providencia species have variable susceptibilities to fluoroquinolones, aminoglycosides, and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. Carbapenems are the best choice for empirical therapy in infections or nosocomial outbreaks suspected to be caused by P stuartii. However antibiotic sensitivity testing of urine culture isolate should guide the antibiotic therapy. I would advise to get her Urine culture and antibiotuc sensitivity testing and guide the antibiotic therapy accordingly after consultation with your doctor.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to me. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing your mother a speedy recovery.