Protruding veins on the forehead. Removal options?

I have large, swirly, pretruding veins on each side of my forehead. I have had them many years and they are always visible. They start at the top of my temple near the hairline and run downward and then around towards the area above my ear. They seem to be getting more prominent as I age. Is there a treatment available to remove them, such as the use of lasers or some other medical treatment.

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 2 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

The first thing we need to ascertain is whether the prominent blood vessel you talk about is a vein or an artery.

To bring some clarity to your problem I would like to know if you have any of the following symptoms:

Excessive sweating, fever, jaw pain that comes and goes or occurs when chewing, muscle aches, Pain and stiffness in the neck, upper arms, shoulders, throbbing headache on one side of the head or the back of the head, scalp sensitivity, tenderness when touching the scalp.

If yes, you might be suffering from Temporal arteritis.

You doctor might ask you to get a few investigations done to confirm the diagnosis which are CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C reactive protein), Liver function, Biopsy and histo-pathological examination of the artery.

The treatment for temporal arteritis is usually high dose oral corticosteroids. You should also ensure that you avoid smoking, take a calcium XXXXXXX diet, and continue to do moderate exercise.

The other case is, if it be a vein and that too cosmetically a large prominent vein, your vascular specialist can help you to surgically remove it after due examination.

My suggestion would be to get an appointment with a vascular surgeon for an evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Gowri