Ask a Dentist   »  

Protruding flap inside the cheek. Is it an ulcer?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I have recently found a small protruding flap on the inside of my cheek about 10mm in width and depth, could this be an ulcer?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello

The description of size and appearance of your lesion is not consistent with that of an oral mucosal ulcer. The main reason is that you do not seem to be having any pain.

By all means it could be the opening of the salivary duct. It is tube like structure from the parotid gland which opens into the mouth opposite to the upper second molar tooth on both the sides. So if it fits into this description, it is in all probability could be the opening of the parotid duct.

But if it is painful, then the possibility of an oral ulcer should be ruled out by examining. If it is indeed an oral ulcer, you will have to take some vitamines and it will settle down over a week or so.

It is usually a benign self limiting condition and might resolve on it's own in a week.

Taking a vitamin B complex supplement and local anaesthetic gel like xytee may help relieve pain if any.
If it still persists more than a week or you develop more symptoms like severe pain, bleeding or pus discharge then please consult your physician to rule out other significant causes like fungal or bacterial infection or malignancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to write back to me if you have further concerns.