Protected sex using condoms with sex worker, worried about HIV. After how many days should I take a blood test?

Yesterday night i had sex with prostitute. I used condoms but now i m feeling very scared about HIV. let me know after how many days i have to go for blood test.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 30 minutes later

You have done a good thing by using a condom. Since you have used the condom the chances of you getting HIV is very less. If you still want to confirm that you do not have HIV then I would recommend you to go for a blood test after 2 months. Up to 2 months there is something known as the 'window' period where the test will come negative.

The gold standard for HIV test is by the western blot technique, you can ask for it when you are getting it done.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know, I will be happy to help.

Have a nice day.