Protected sex, condom failure, not much ejaculate entered vagina, periods two weeks ago. Chances of pregnancy ?

Question
My girl and i were having sex and the condom broke. but we had sex about three hours before so their could not have been that much cum. but i know some got inside her. she had her period about two weeks ago. and we are both freaking out is there anything we can do. we are both scared but we dont believe in abortion! if you could just teach us how getting pregnant works and what are the chances of her getting pregnant it would help. thanks
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 30 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

If you want to know if she is pregnant, the first would be a pregnancy test (urine test on a strip) that she would have to perform. She will have to get this test done if she has a missed period. If the test comes negative then a repeat test after 2-4 weeks would be needed to confirm pregnancy. This is preliminary. Of course a clinical examination later will be confirmatory.

The chances of one getting pregnant, depends on factors with the individual medical history, the act etc. Rupture of a barrier contraceptive like condom is the same as the chances with unprotected intercourse. And the amount of semen has no bearing relationship with fertility. Even a small amount of normal semen is enough for the purpose in the right conditions.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,