Prostatitis, chlamydia. Prescription needed?

I have prostatitis. I need a precription because I think I got it because my girlfriend had chymdia. What should I do.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Chlamydia infection could theoretically be related to prostatitis but this is unlikely.

In your case it is important for you to get tested and if you are negative for chlamydia it would help your doctor decide on appropriate treatment.

Also, you are young to be having prostatitis and your doctor should do a thorough exam of the prostate to rule out an enlargement of the gland.

If you indeed have prostatitis, the treatment is generally a 2 to 3 week course of Cipro 500 mg twice daily. Your doctor can provide this if he believes it is indicated for you.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my response serves to be adequate and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga