Prostate cancer has spread to abdominal lymph nodes on the aorta. Advised hormone therapy. What do you suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have prostate cancer and had the prostate and seminal vessels removed three months ago. The cancer has spread to the abdominal lymph nodes on the aorta. My doctor says too much risk is involved in removing them and I should only use hormone therapy at this point. What do you suggest? I am 5 foot 11 and weigh 170 pounds.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Involvement of abdominal lymph nodes by Prostate Cancer indicates distant spread of tumor. As abdominal aorta is a vital organ and malignant lymph nodes are actually adherent to the adjacent tissue due to invasion, it is really difficult to remove all the malignant lymph nodes without causing a considerable damage to the abdominal aorta.

It is best to go for hormonal therapy at this point to prevent the further spread as your doctor has prescribed you.

Hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.