Prone to leg spasms, in toes, ankle and knees. Area is painful to touch and use. Treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi -
I have been prone to leg spasms from time to time, wait a while and they go away, This time I have a spasm
problem that started a least 5 days ago, as usual I was woke up with my toes turning up and backwards which
included my ankle up to my knee, not only at night but during the day, just get worst during the night. Day time the same area is painful to touch and use, all this in the right leg only, Even now just sitting here with my legs up, it is still painful. I hope you can give me some insight on this. Thank you for your time. Viv
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Leg spasm in your case seems secondary to your lower back problems.
As you spasm get persisted and painful, l suggest to get evaluated your lower back problems with your orthopaedician.
You need stretching and strenthening exercises for back.
To relieve the spasm in your leg and foot-
Stretch or massage the involved muscle
Take a warm shower or bath to relax the muscle
Trying using hot or cold packs
Drinks plenty of water
Take an over the counter pain reliever such as tynol, Motrin.

Hope this will helps you.let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh XXXXXXX
Orthopaedic Surgeon.