Prone to cold and got infection in every weather change. How to improve immunity?

my name is XXXXX. i am very prone to cold and got infection in every weather change , can you help me out so that i can improve some resistance ...
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

It seems that you have low immunity. You can get checked for immunity by doing some blood tests like Complete blood profile, blood sugar level, immunoglobulin levels, etc. Selective IgA deficiency is the most common immunoglobulin deficiency and results in recurrent throat infections. Also there may be some chronic throat infection that can show-up regularly like oral candida, etc. It may be seasonal allergies. If you can tell me your symptoms in detail I will be better able to help you.

I will suggest the following:

1. Can try anti-histamines like tb cetrizine during a sore throat. Also take multivitamins for at least one month.

2. Should take more of fruits and vegetables.

3. Should exercise at least 20 min a day. Can try gym, walk, yoga, etc.

4. Take nutritious food and pure water.

5. Stay away from crowded places where you can pick infection easily

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Prone to cold and got infection in every weather change. How to improve immunity? 13 hours later

thanks for the suggestion ,

normally i am fit having weight of 94 kgs and got a height of 6'2" and takes lots of fruit and water and i can tell that i have low immunity. need your suggestion on diet chart too...
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Hi again,

It is always worthwhile to get tested for low immunity

Now coming to your weight for your height, It should be between 67 - 88 kg. You current BMI is 26.6 kg/m^2. It should be between 19 – 25 kg/m^2.

For you a low calorie diet chart is needed. In general you can avoid high calorie foods like milk products (cheese, butter, ghee, ice-cream, sweets, etc). I am sending a sample diet chart:
Here is your sample plan:

Early Morning:
Green tea (sugar less) or lemonade – 1 glass

Breakfast: Non fried preparations like:
Whole wheat bread without butter – 2 slices
Vegetable poha/ Dalia/ Sevian/ upma - 1 cup
Idli 2pc. With Sāmbhar – 1 cup
Cornflakes with skimmed milk (less sugar) – 1 cup
Stuffed chapatti (2 no.) with dry vegetable – 1 katori

Fruits (avoid the carbohydrate XXXXXXX fruits like mango, sapota, grapes, banana, custard XXXXXXX and watermelon also avoid fruit juices and fruit milk shakes)

2 chapatti + sabji 1 katori + boiled brown rice ½ katori + dal – 1 katori + salad 1 katori + 1 glass thin butter milk or 1 katori skimmed curd.

Evening Snacks:
Tea / Coffee (less or no sugar) + high fiber bis. OR Sprouts / roasted channa 1 katori

2 chapatti + vegetable 1 katori + skimmed buttermilk 1 glass + salad 1 katori.

Start your meals with salads and buttermilk, and stop eating when you are just full.
Avoid snacking in between. Choose from a variety of vegetables and fruits; avoid potato, colocasia, yam and sweet potato. Consume 2.5 to 3 liter water and other fluids like lemon juice, fresh soup and tender coconut water. Drink pure water.

You are also advised to include regular physical exercises in your daily routine. A brisk walk every day for 45 min. is recommended for quick weight loss. You may also try other activities like, skipping, swimming and playing badminton etc.

Dr Vaishalee