Prominent veins on chest and legs. Should I be concerned?

I have noticed that my veins are becoming more prominent, in my legs and chest. Never had it before, there are areas on leg that they are coming a lot, and today the vein in my chest appeared. Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

These symptoms can be due to varicose veins which are swollen, twisted, and sometimes painful veins that have filled with an abnormal collection of blood. Varicose veins look dark blue, swollen, and twisted under the skin. The development of varicose veins and spider veins may occur at any age but usually occurs between the ages of 18 and 35 years.

You need to get it examined and a duplex ultrasound exam of the extremity done to see blood flow in the veins, and to rule out other disorders of the legs.

For these, try the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Wear compression stockings

2)     Prop up (elevate) your legs.

3)     Avoid long periods of sitting or standing.

4)     Get plenty of exercise.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.